Author Topic: Super-Visor review  (Read 11306 times)

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
Super-Visor review
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:52:14 pm »
I hope a review of this product hasn't already appeared in the STAReview. If there is a fast way to search those, I'm unaware of it, and I'm too lazy to do it the slow way. Apologies offered if this is old info. I did search this forum, and the legacy forum, and didn't find any previous review. Update: see Star Review 3502 here.

There are a few products on the market that add a tint to the top of helmet visors and many frugal riders just use a strip of black tape along the top for visibility problems when riding into the sun. However neither of those worked for me. The problem I had was not with the sun directly in my eyes, as I was usually able to tip my head a bit to put it behind the upper lip of the helmet. The problem I had was that any time I was within 45 degrees either way of heading straight for the sun, my visors bugs and micro scratches were so lit up that there was a glare across my shield that wasn't enjoyable for driving or scenery appreciation.  I now have the Super Visor, and so far I love it. There is now a small but perfectly placed strip of shade for anything other than a ride directly into the sun during the last 10 minutes prior to sunset. It also significantly cuts down on the amount of light entering the helmet opening, so much so that sunglasses or the inner flip down shield are rarely needed even on sunny or bright overcast days. I purchased two of these, a black one and a white one. I've only used the black one so far, but I can already tell that the white one would need to either be painted a darker color on the underside or perhaps have some black felt glued to the underside. If traveling in very tall mountain areas I expect I'll remove the Super Visor to more enjoy the view as the clips won't be in the way.
 My Modular Nolan N90 is noisy to begin with, so if there is an increase in noise I can't tell. I was most worried that wind gusts might get more leverage on my head with this, but so far no problem.  I mounted it with the clips (Super-Visor calls them lifters) which have a high and low position. The low position with the clips is more like a middle position because the very lowest position is without the clips at all where the Super Visor is mounted directly to the shield. I used the clips in the low position. I want to be clear here that when I refer to the positions, that it isn't adjustable after it's mounted. You pick a position prior to mounting and then it's pretty much a permanent thing. At first I thought that I had mounted it too low, but after evaluating the view, it turned out that I could see everything that I needed to. If first in line at a traffic light I need to raise my visor a bit to see the overhead signal light.  My helmet still fits into my saddlebag and it's appearance isn't too bad. (YOMV) Using the clips allows you to change Super Visors if you have another one. There are two sets of instructions, 1)positioning instructions and 2)mounting instructions. I almost followed them to the letter. I made marks at the top of the helmets visor corresponding to the location of each clip/”lifter” before performing the roughening as per the instructions with the emery board. I'm not sure how long the clips would stand up to frequent mounting and unmounting of the Super Visor, they are clear plastic and most likely will become more brittle as UV exposure accumulates. I've attached pictures and the instructions.

click on pics to enlarge.

<----------..Hmmm..now I just need the rest of the outfit:D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 03:22:28 pm by fartymarty »
MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713

Offline fartymarty

• MSTA Member
  • Primary Motorcycle: '10 Kawasaki Concours 14
Re: Super-Visor review
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 03:19:33 pm »
Since the Star review (issue 3502) just did an evaluation (it didn't seem to be a positive or negative review, more like: "meh") on this, I thought I'd add some more thoughts of mine.

First off, I do not have a financial interest in this nor do I know anyone associated with the product. I just like how it works.

Many (and perhaps even Nick Zarras in his review) think this is only useful when the sun is low and in your eyes, and I've read where some think a black piece of tape is just as good. They are probably right for just the times that the sun is very low and directly in your eyes.
As I said in my review above, to me it is most effective during the day whenever you are facing within 45 degrees either side of the sun's direction and it is shining on your visor lighting up every little micro scratch and bug part that might be there from time and the last 50 miles of travel. The Super Visor gives you a nice 1/4 to 1/2 inch of shaded glare free plastic to look through.

Try this (you can do it in your back yard if you don't feel too silly standing out there with your helmet on): turn in a direction where the sun is shining on your visor and providing plenty of glare across it's face, then put your hand up in a horizontal position simulating a visor on a baseball hat or if you prefer like this. If you like the view much better with your hand shading the visor than without, then you should give the Super-Visor a try. If you think it doesn't seem to make that much difference then you can save yourself the trouble and just use a piece of black tape for when the sun is low.
If you try it, I recommend you place it as low as you can on the helmet visor. It takes a bit to get use to if you have it low as it seems too restrictive at first, but carefully look to see if you are seeing all that you need to before automatically moving it higher.

I recently found that it helps in heavy rain downpours as well. No the visor isn't clear by any means and certainly no better for tire mist from vehicles ahead, but when it is really coming down hard it seems to shield a half inch or so of visor from the big drop impact obscurations. 

About a year ago I managed to break my clips off the visor (the adhesive let go) when I hastily jammed my helmet in the side case so I could catch up with others already in the restaurant. I missed it the rest of the trip because I didn't bring the spare adhesive with me. When I got home I put the clips back on and drilled the helmet visor and put pop rivets in because I just know I'll mess it up in the side case again.

As Nick's review in the Star Review says, it is sold by Aerostitch (here)
but it is also available here. 

They do make one somewhat outrageous claim,
Quote from: Super-Visor website
Digitally engineered in DOT-approved plastic, the SUPER-VISOR’s aerodynamic styling will actually improve the look of most helmets and reduce wind noise from your helmet.

IMO it does not improve the look of most helmets, and I'll go out on a limb here and say that I think most here will agree with me on this if nothing else.  :)

MSTA#13833 COG #9712
AMA#3051467 SCMA#46974
IBA#77713